Park your car
Douaneplein (just outside the ring-road)
- Ca. 1 km or 10 minutes' walk to the Grote Markt.
- From the ring-road follow the Monuments Route on foot. It leads past the palaces of the two Margarets and the Church of St Peter and Paul to the Grote Markt.
Inexpensive parking on the outskirts
There are three car parks on the ring-road (R12) around the historic city centre. Reduced tariff; free at weekends. Shopping in Mechelen is even more fun on Saturdays and during Sunday shopping. Travel to the shops in the city centre for free and in the lap of luxury with the free Shopping Shuttle.
From Brussels, Leuven or Lier
- Follow the Margaret Route. Among other things, you pass the palaces of Margaret of Austria and Margaret of York.
- Head for the Veemarkt and from there to the Grote Markt.
Rode Kruisplein (Keerdok)
- Follow the Children's Route and you'll find various fun activities for children and a playground.
Pay car parks in the centre
In and around the central zone where traffic is restricted, there are six car parks for which a charge is made.
Hoogstraat (at Ganzendries)
Lamot (on the Vismarkt)
- Drive into the city past the station. Just past the roundabout at the station you'll see a sign for the Lamot car park ("parking Lamot"). Follow the arrows via the Hoogstraat to the centre.
From Antwerp or Lier
Kathedraal (at Sint-Romboutskerkhof)
- Follow the signs from the city ring-road via Sint-Katelijnestraat to the city centre.
- Follow the signs from the city ring-road via Keizerstraat to the city centre.
Inno (at Leermarkt)
- Follow the signs from the city ring-road via Bleekstraat to the city centre.
To help you find your way to the city centre, we suggest you follow one of the marked walking routes from the car parks on the outskirts and the two railway stations. Comprehensive information boards and stepping stones are there to guide you.
There are 5 routes to choose from:
- Yellow Route | Children's Route: Rode Kruisplein – Vismarkts
- Green Route | Monuments Route: Douaneplein – Grote Markt
- Pink Route | Art Route: Zandpoortvest (P1) – Bruul
- Blue Route | Margaret Route: Zandpoortvest (P2) – Befferstraat
- Orange Route | Travellers Route: Koning Albertplein – Bruul